A Lockdown With Loopholes: New Virus Restrictions Come Into Force in England by Benjamin Mueller (The New York Times)

The article is about the second lockdown in the UK. Apparently, a lot of people don’t take it as serious this time. They just keep on going to work and finding loopholes in the regulations which are already not as strict as they were in the first lockdown.

The lede gives the most important information right away. The journalist then focuses on various issues. He starts with the most important information first and then ends with paragraphs where he explains things more in detail. I honestly don’t know if the journalist wrote it that way or if it’s just what Johnson did and didn’t do or say, but I feel like the article is a little biased and directed against Johnson, England, and Europe. For example here:

“The situation exposed the enormous difficulties of European governments, struck by second wave of the coronavirus, as they try to put the genie back in the bottle after months of encouraging people to flock back to offices and pubs.”

One Reply to “News Comment #11”

1. Since this is the NYT, I would probably read that as less of a criticism of Johnson than warning for America. Mueller’s portrayal of England seem like a preview of what we will have here if government keeps on its present course.