What Does It Mean to Be a Lawyer in Times of Covid-19?

Being a lawyer for the city council in times of Covid-19 seems very simple. Almost no cases but still a high salary. Steven Postolka who graduated from Morningside in 2011 said, “I never worked less, for my money.” 

After Mr. Postolka graduated from Morningside College, he decided to attend law school at the university of Iowa. Three years later, he started working in private practice where he could serve justice for private people. Seven years into his career he decided to switch fields and work as a city council lawyer in 2020, right when the pandemic started. 

The pandemic has a big impact on his work he says. “Through Covid-19 there are almost no cases to prepare for. I currently do a lot of briefs and go through old cases.” Being a city council lawyer basically just means that Sioux City is his client. If they sue somebody or if they get sued, he represents them in court. Most of his work still happens out of the court room. Researching similar cases or flying in witnesses makes around 90% of his work and it all happens outside of the court. 

Working for the city gives him a feeling of stability he says. He is finally at a point in his career where he enjoys the workload and they also pay him really good. That was not always the case, late shifts during law school or tough private clients made being a lawyer very hard and not always enjoyable.