Assn 1

It is a place full of power. It is a place full of emotion. It is the place where it all begins and where it ends. Among the four grey walls the locker room twenty-four girls gather for one reason. All day long the room will sit in silence, waiting for its purpose to be fulfilled.  I can sit there and gaze upon the names of my fellow teammates; I can see the trophies mounted on a wall of achievement.

Although the room is empty before practice, it will safely hold our sweaty gear and keeps out unwanted visitors. As soon as three in the afternoon comes around, the room comes alive.

One by one we come in. I usually see smiling faces eager with stories to tell. I can hear the twist and clicks from the lockers being opened. I listen to the gossip around school and the complaints about classes. It was odd to sit and listen to so many different conversations that seem to have no purpose except to entertain. I found out that someone had a new crush and that someone is not thrilled to practice.

I see everyone put on their gear in unison. First your socks, second your knee pads that wreak of sweat and hard work, third your ankle braces that save you from a broken foot, and last your all black Mizuno volleyball shoes. Everyone will make a stop at the mirror to fix a loose strand of hair, or wipe of any make up. Volleyball players don’t wear makeup.

The locker room is a place away from anything but volleyball and the team. No coaches, no boys, no school. I can taste victory from the past and victories that are in the future. I also taste defeat.

On occasion the locker room can be an unwelcoming place. After an awful game, nothing is more awkward and uncomfortable then going and sitting with twenty-four girls who just got yelled at and lost. It’s easy to feel the tension. Some girls will burn a hole in the ground because the refuse to look up. Tension doesn’t sound like anything because everyone is frozen with emotions.

Even though a loss can make the locker room unwelcoming, a victory makes the locker room a never ending party. We all welcome another W into our record. This is when volleyball is fun. As we all rip off our gear and quickly shower the conversations are filled with life and energy. The smell of body wash and shampoo cover up our sweaty aroma.

When we all leave the locker room; we close our lockers, grab our stuff, and turn off the lights. The locker room is quiet again. It all starts again the next day.

4 Comments so far

1.   Kevin on September 10th, 2010

After reading I totally remember the “locker room” days. It helped to remind me of the sweet smell of victory as well as the sour taste of defeat.

The descriptions (i.e., showing the room as an entity rather than an empty space) were extremely vivid and detailed. I especially liked the intro sentences.

Be careful with spelling (e.g. “…or wipe *of* any make up) Overall, your paper was very entertaining and a fun read. Great job girl.

2.   Ryan on September 10th, 2010

This was a fun article for me to read. I enjoy sports so naturally this article was interesting. I never knew that this much went on in a volleyball locker room. Nice job!!

3.   Fuglsang on September 12th, 2010

Where it begins and where it ends. I like that, but why not tell me up front what “it” is?

Avoid writing to “you.” She, Our or They would be better, I think.

What does defeat taste like? Tie it to the paragraph that follows, which is quite good.

4.   Lesley on September 13th, 2010

This was really entertaining. I really felt like I was with you in the locker room. I loved how you didn’t even tell where we were until about the middle of the paper, it left a lot for imagination. Very good.