Journalist Jadyn

Sea World Review Story

April 7, 2021 · No Comments

The documentary I chose to analyze is called “Blackfish.” This documentary is an extremely eye-opening film about the neglect and abuse of orca, a.k.a “killer,” whales at the SeaWorld facilities. The following facilities that we brought up are located in Orlando, San Diego, and San Antonio. The specific basis or argument that this documentary is based off of, is that killer whales are not aggressive in the wild, but due to captivity these animals become extremely dangerous. Throughout watching this documentary I was absolutely shocked that the majority of people do not know what goes on behind closed doors at SeaWorld and I’m glad this information was able to be exposed. Before watching “Blackfish” I never thought of SeaWorld as this wretched hell for sea animals, because SeaWorld has always wanted the public to think SeaWorld is saving these animals’ lives because the animals couldn’t make it in captivity, but boy are we being fooled. 

So where is the proof Sea World actually neglects its animals? This film depicts the whales with bent and floppy dorsal fins, which are signs of depression, and only whales who are help in captivity have them since they are stripped from their families. The film also exposes SeaWorld for not rescuing their animals, but rather ripping them away from their families which often results in killing the mother whale and stuffing rocks into her belly so she sinks to the bottom of the ocean and it takes years for a carcas to ever wash up. On top of this the film directly shows inside information to the specific whale, Tilikum, the orca whale who is famous for killing his trainer. This documentary shows that starting off Tilikum was put in a tank much too small for his size and still he had to share it with two other whales that attacked him every day, since these animals are very territorial. Now you would think that SeaWorld, claiming to be the professionals they are, would know that orcas are very much family oriented animals. They strive best and travel their entire lives in packs with their families, so they are naturally happy and healthiest with their own out in the wild.

So why would they steal the whales away and put their young into tanks with other orcas who are ready to fight at any minute. They don’t even give these whales enough personal space that is required for them to live let alone for three to live together. You can’t expect these whales not to become extremely violent. Ontop of the living quarters these whales are trained for hours every day and starved when they do not complete a correct task. I honestly would be angry too if my trainer tried standing on me and I was hungry and exhausted!

Overall I do not and will not ever support SeaWorld. I do believe that the passing of the trainer was extremely sad and that it should not have happened to such a young innocent girl, but there is no one to blame, but SeaWorld. Tilikum should have been released back into the wild as soon as he was “nourished back to health” and SeaWorld should better educate themselves on how to properly train and raise orcas if that is how they wish to create their business.

Categories: Uncategorized