Media Comment #12

Profile/Article: “For Italy’s Masked Rap Diva, an Era of Face Coverings Poses a Dilemma” by Jason Horowitz

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/world/europe/italy-myss-keta-masks.html?searchResultPosition=2

The profile is about the Italian rapper Myss Keta. Since 2013 she has been using masks to hide her identity and it has become an unofficial trademark of hers. Before COVID-19 she was on the brink of becoming a celebrity but with everybody wearing face masks now she has more or less lost her most defining characteristic.

The first paragraph in the profile is an anecdote describing how Myss Keta distributed her huge mask collection to her friends when Italy experienced the first surge of COVID-19. Overall, the article is not just about the rapper as a person but also holds some news value as she lost her defining characteristic because of the current pandemic.

The writer used descriptive elements when he wrote about how Myss Keta is taking pictures with fans or sipping on a drink. The writer did not use the inverted pyramid to structure the article because no information seems more important than any other. The article only features Myss Keta as a source for her own story and two other sources about Italy, art, and mask-wearing in general. I think the writer should have used more sources for the actual topic because it would have given different points of view to the profile.

One thought on “Media Comment #12

1. I listened to her on Spotify. I’ll stick with My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult. Less profanity. Otherwise pretty similar.

I didn’t see a frame in the story.