Sep 07 2020

Profile Image of Daniel

Reverse Scavenger Hunt

Posted at 8:04 pm under Uncategorized

When I was assigned this story, I was not sure how I was going to distribute the fruit snacks initially. Then, before I could come up with how to distribute them, my wife Erika noticed the box sitting by my backpack in my apartment. She asked me, “what’s that for?” I had to be honest and said, “it’s for a project.” This put me in a pickle. I had to decide whether she was going to be a part of the project or not. I decided to give her a fruit snack pouch, but I gave it to her a few days after she asked. Immediately when I asked her, “would you like some fruit snacks?” she responded with, “what is the project for?” She seemed confused by my wanting to give her some fruit snacks. She said they tasted good, but were “weird.”

I gave away three other pouches to my co-workers at KTIV. I first gave one to our evening director Trevor. When I set the pouch in front of him, he looked at it very suspiciously. He wasn’t sure what feeling he should be having towards being given fruit snacks. I also gave a pouch to our 5 PM director Larry. He asked me if I had “poisoned them,” and I simply said no and moved on to my next victim. He said that they tasted really, really good. He also mentioned a couple of unique aspects of the fruit snacks. He made a comment about the smell of the fruit snacks and how he wished they were a candle. Then he mentioned how he has never had an apple flavored fruit snack before. The final person I gave to was our master control operator Don. Don made an audible exclamation when I asked him if he wanted some fruit snacks. Within a couple of seconds of setting them in front of him, he had ripped them open and began eating all of them.

It seems, overall, that people appreciated the act of giving them a little bit of a snack. I think the skepticism comes from the fact that I have never spontaneously given a snack to my coworkers or to my wife. This led to some of the amusing responses and reactions.

One response so far

One Response to “Reverse Scavenger Hunt”

1. Anonymouson 15 Sep 2020 at 8:41 pm 1

Did you ask Erika to define “weird”? Can you describe “suspiciously”? Those are examples of telling without showing.

The skepticism is interesting. If you’re just the “new guy,” giving away snacks shouldn’t be a big deal. You’re trying to be nice. But if you’re the not-so-new guy who all of a sudden wants to be nice, that may be a different story.

Comments RSS