The Blog of Derrick James Freese

Meet My Classmate!
September 13, 2011, 7:43 am
Filed under: Journalism

In my Junior year of attending Morningside College I took a Journalism class. In this class I sit next to a girl, and her name is Samantha Hoffman. When I first started talking to Samantha she was quite at first. I learned some small things such as, her favorite color being blue, and her favorite food is spaghetti. Also I learned her favorite rock bands were Avenged Sevenfold and Godsmack, but once we got to talking more I learned some things about her.

Samantha grew up in Lake View, Iowa living on a cattle farm. During her high school years she was a cheerleader, played soccer and was part of her FFA sectional chapter for 2 years. At a college fair Samantha decided to go to Morningside. She chose Morningside because it was as she says, “Close, but not too close.” In addition to that, she also liked the tech refresh program Morningside offers.

Today Samantha is a Junior at Morningside College majoring in Psychology/Counseling. I never had good experiences with Psychology classes, so I wish her the best of luck in that. To get through college Samantha is working at Texas Roadhouse. Samantha lived on campus for her first two years of college, living in Dimmitt Hall. This year Samantha is living off campus with her boyfriend.

Knowing who I’m sitting next to during this class will definitely be better now.

Be careful with tenses, Derrick. The first sentence sounds like a memory, but then a present tense verb in the second sentence.

Also, we will be talking the next few weeks about keeping yourself out of the story. Rarely will you use “I” in a story.

fuglsang 09.14.11 @ 8:40 pm