The Blog of Derrick James Freese

Eugene C. Eppley and MacCollin Memorial
September 13, 2011, 6:23 pm
Filed under: Journalism

In Sioux City, Iowa there is a college that was founded in 1894 by the Methodist Episcopal Church. Morningside College is a private, four-year, liberal arts college. Morningside has 21 buildings on a 68-acre campus, all with distinct looks. Two of my favorite buildings are the Eugene C. Eppley building and the MacCollin Memorial Classroom building.

The Eugene C. Eppley building was constructed in 1966, and thought to be one of the best music and art facilities in the Midwest. The massive auditorium can seat 1,400 with a beautiful Sanford Memorial Organ that reaches to the as high as the ceiling. W.L. Beutler and Son designed the architectural structure and the elegant and colorful mosaic designs above the entrances. I have spent a bit of time in the Eppley lobby for some classes.

Sitting in the Eppley lobby with its large windows and many entrances that let sunlight reflect off the white tiles I saw its life wasn’t much different than the MacCollin hallways. There are far fewer people who venture the large balcony over looking the foyer. This balcony houses the print supplies as well as a nice place to take a nap with sofas circling a table. In the foyer there are many art pieces set up that are bursting with colorful designs. Hanging from the ceiling in the foyer are many lights that burn bright like stars when lit at night. I would soon come to learn that during the event nights the building was a bustling metropolis.

The Eppley building is home to many events that draw in enormous crowds. One of the most popular is the Christmas at Morningside, showcasing the amazing talents of the Morningside band and Choir. There are hundreds of sharped-dressed men accompanied by women who show up in beautiful flowing dress and jewelry that sparkles like the stars.

The Eugene C. Eppley building has become almost like a second home to me, as well as countless other students trying to finish a project for the next day. Working like slaves to the grade, we all strive forward and pull a masterpiece together. Many people find a place in the Eppley lobby to crash for a while so they can wake up in few hours and keep on working until the sun rises and it’s time to start the next day in the MacCollin building for classes.

The first time I entered the building complex was on the MacCollin classroom side. I came up for an interview for a grant with the head of the Graphic Design program. As I walked into the building I remember seeing on the second floor windows the shades were moved to form an arc in the very square window frames. I noticed the building wasn’t too busy at this time since it was late in the afternoon. Later as I would sit down for my class and draw what the halls looked like, I noticed that the halls of MacCollin were ghost towns with few people wondering the halls unless it was between classes.

I have only been inside the Eppley building one time, and it was for a assignment. Of course I didn’t take time to examine the place so your words are very descriptive, and this helps give me a better image.

If you could describe more about the balconies, and maybe how it is set up a with a little more detail that could help. I also like how I get the feeling this building is homey feeling due to the fact you can nap in it and feel comfortable at the same time!

Brittany 09.13.11 @ 6:58 pm

I lived in Eppley for two years for all of my classes… if you could rearrange a little bit of those so the paragraphs are more organized, I think it would help outsiders understand the building setup a bit better.
The descriptions themselves are good, though!

Claire Elyse 09.13.11 @ 7:04 pm

I would agree with Brittany and Claire’s comments. You begin with Eppley, then do MacCollin and if you don’t know the building that will be confusing. I would actually suggest focusing on Eppley and the big, bright foyer and balcony. Lots to work with there. Was MacCollin built at the same time as Eppley? Same designer?

Focusing on Eppley will also help with the organization. Move from point to point, changing paragraphs when you change subject.

fuglsang 09.14.11 @ 8:45 pm