header image

How has photography changed? 1.19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/photography/interactive/2023/terrifying-images-aftermath-strike-dnipro/?itid=sf_photography

In this article, there are multiple photos that do a very nice job at painting the picture of what went down in Ukraine this last Saturday. Dnipro, a city in Ukraine was hit with Russian missile killing dozens of people. The photos in this article do such a nice job showing just have devastating the blast was. The message the was supposed to get across I believe got through. In my eyes, I think the person who wrote the article and took the photos wanted to show people what really is happening in the war in Ukraine right now.

As far as reproductive values go, I think the first photo is perfect. I think that the Washington Post is really trying to push for fear and to show people how bad things really are. I do think that this is a very good cover photo and would reproduce well on newspapers. The front page picture is suppose to grab the readers eye and that is a big reason I chose this story because the picture of all the smoke and debris and the firefighters working captured my eyes and wanted me to read more about it.

From an aesthetic stand point, I do not believe that any of these photos are that pleasing, however I do think that was the main purpose to take the photos like this. With war, I think the best thing the photographer can do is catch the rawness of the event. Show people what war really looks like with the best photos they can take given the circumstances. I think the photos have a very nice quality to them so they must’ve been shot with a nice camera.

My overall evaluation of the photos is very similar to the aesthetic part. The photos themselves are very chaotic and have a lot of parts in them. There are many different things that are happening in each photo that could draw your attention. My favorite photos in this were the ones of the civilians helping clean up debris so the fireman can save people.

~ by Christian on .