Britney, the Body and the Blurring of Popular Cultures

Britney Spears is one of the most influential people of our time, but if you think about it, how did she influence our culture? This reading really shows how much pop artists like Madonna and Britney and celebrities like Jane Fonda had a huge influence on body type and changed the popular skin and bones body type to an athletic and muscular looking body. Earlier I asked the question what kind of influence did Britney Spears have on our society? Well it is believed by Forbes (2002) that her influence is to blame for increases in body image disturbances among young girls all over. Many themes emerge from Britney’s videos when analyzed. Power and control, identity development and gender stereotypes and sexuality. Also all throughout many of Britney’s music video is promotion of the female body. Another aspect that is promoted in many of her videos is development from “schoolgirl” to “diva”. Many things are prominent in her videos including power. In the video “Oops I Did It Again” she shows her power by being dressed in a red space suit with a boy following around and in the beginning of the video coming from up above. This academic writing can be targeted at teenagers and young adults around the world. Britney Spears has influenced girls from ages 8-28 and this article could be interesting to many teenagers. Britney Spears being one of the most important singers in my youth I really enjoyed this article. The form it was wrote in was very organized and it showed its reliability by using many facts and even a case study. One thing I did not like was the length of it and at points it got kind of boring to me. Other than this critique I believe this reading was effective and is good information to have.