Throw Like A Girl

The reading Throw Like A girl really makes a lot of great and important points in today’s society. In my opinion one of the purposes of this article is to show how males have maintained a physical superiority to women’s athletes. A great example of this is feminizing a males athletic ability is considered an insult but to masculinize a female athlete’s performance is considered a compliment. I also think it is very interesting how today the expression “Throw like a girl” is a critique for a mans ability. This reading also mentions that women who show to much ability are labeled “mannish” and have the stigma of lesbianism. This statement is very true and happens regularly in today’s society. Another really interesting fact that I really did not even notice in athletics is how men and women are referred to in sports. Girls in sports are usually called women/girls but ladies is something much different. In the reading it described how girls feel that being referred to as “ladies” makes them sound extremely girly and not like they are competing in athletics. The term “ladies” also links the girls to men and can sound like dependency girls have on men. This is a great point because men are not regularly referred to as gentlemen in sports. I believe that this article is aimed at women’s athletes and is very important for them to read. I liked most things about this article because it showed how being classified as a girl for men is still considered a huge insult and shows that even though the discrimination has weakened it is still there.