Rapper Killed in a Car Crash Minutes After Tweeting About Drunk Driving – 3

Filed under: Weekly News Comments — Caitlin at 6:10 pm on Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ervin McKinness, a 21-year-old rapper was with four of his friends driving 120 mph while drunk.  He tweeted “Drunk af going 120 drifting corners#FuckIt YOLO”.  Shortly after this McKinness and his four friends were all killed in a car accident.  They ran a red light, lost control of the car and slammed into a wall.  Four were pronounced dead on the scene and one was taken to the hospital where he was also pronounced dead.

This story was interesting and also caught my attention and made me want to read more just from seeing the headline.  I like the fact that it showed his exact tweets instead of paraphrasing everything.  The one thing I didn’t like was the fact that until the second to last paragraph of the story the writer made it sound like McKinness was the one driving the car.  The tweets and accident are described in detail and then as an add on at the end says, “Despite McKinness’ tweets, police reported that it was actually Watson who was behind the wheel, according to the San Bernardino County Sun.”  This made me question the whole story.  I had to go back and look over the whole story to make sure they never specifically said that McKinness was the driver.

Read the story here.

1 Comment

8

fuglsang

September 13, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

I had a similar comment, Caitlin. I think this was first reported over the weekend, and it wasn’t clear in the stories I saw who was driving. McKinness’ actions are questionable, but they would be worse if he was the one driving. The fact that this made you question the entire piece reflects our discussion of accuracy in class today.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.