Unlike last year, this year’s Morningside Homecoming Week was filled with events, prizes, and lots of entertainment. 

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Morningside wasn’t able to fully celebrate the 2020 Homecoming as much as most students would have liked to have seen. This year things were able to return back to normal.

All of the Homecoming events were sponsored and planned by the Morningside Activities Council (MAC), the student-led group in charge of providing “quality entertainment as well as educational opportunities to the students of Morningside College,” according to their Constitution.

Emma Hannasch, the President of MAC, said Homecoming Week “went really well.” In regards to the turnout, she said, “it was exciting to see the large attendance numbers and it was an amazing feeling honoring President Reynders and Robin throughout the week.”

Starting the first-ever Morningside University Homecoming Week off on Monday was the creation of custom street signs. An annual Homecoming event, students were able to go to the Yockey Room in the Olson Student Center and customize words and the design of these signs.

“I’ve gone to this event every year so far, and it’s one of my favorites,” said Alex Freeman, a junior. “I have one from each year hanging in my room still.” 

Tuesday brought the annual Homecoming Coronation followed by the first-ever lip sync battle contest.

Students voted for who they thought should be on the Homecoming Court, and the top five men and women were chosen from the senior class to be on the Court.

The men on the Court consisted of Braxton Hinders, James Spicer, Tyler Carney, Carter Anderson, Tyler Anderson, and Drew Binning. The women on the Court consisted of Marissa Hernandez, Sophia Peppers, Hannah Capps, Lindi Pojar, Rachel Barkema, and Betsy Ridout. 

In the end, Hinders was chosen to be the first every Morningside University Homecoming King and Hernandez as the first-ever Queen.

“It was such an honor to elected King,” said Hinders. “I never really thought it would happen, to be honest.”

After hundreds of pictures were taken and hugs were given, it was time for the lip sync battle.  

Five groups participated in the contest, which was judged by President John Reynders, his wife Robin, Dr. David Elder, Wendy Wilde, and Shari Benson. 

The winning group was comprised of Ridge Hoffman, James Evans, Brian Nathaniel, Bess Telfer, Kirstin Verplanke, and Zach Craig. The group sang “Summer Nights” from Grease. 

On Wednesday night, the annual Homecoming bingo event was held. Unlike previous years, this year it had to be held in the Yockey Room. Unfortunately, this also coincided with the largest ever turnout for bingo, with over 310 students showing up.

“Yockey, unfortunately, was not meant to hold much more than that 200 number, causing some frustration from MAC and the attendees as well,” Hannasch said in regards to the event. “MAC has formally apologized to those in attendance and hopes to see everybody at future events!“

On Friday night, magician/mentalist West Mathison entertained students with his tricks in Epply Auditorium.

“I really like going to watch magicians, and Mathison didn’t disappoint,” said Freeman.

On Saturday night, a live band was brought in to play for students to show off their voices singing karaoke.

“It was great to see another event for students to gather at, relax their mind, and have fun at,” said Sam Petersen, a senior who attended the event. 

The first 75 attendants at the karaoke event were given a free MAC blanket.

“I love the blanket, and I’m going to treasure it forever,” said Petersen.

After the conclusion of a long and busy week, Hannasch had some thoughts about how MAC was able to grow. 

“The biggest things learned for MAC during homecoming week this year was to just roll with the punches. We aren’t going to know everything in advance and that’s okay. Our focus needs to not only be on the students having a good time but the MAC team as well.”