The (hopefully) interesting thoughts of a college kid.

Answers to Questions About the Texas Abortion Law

The New York Times published an article written by Roni Caryn Rabin explaining the a recently passed Texas law banning most abortions. This article is found on the Health section of the newspaper.

I found this article to be an interesting read because I am fascinated by politics, evidenced by the Political Science degree I am working towards. I rarely read the New York TImes, but I thought I would try it out this time around. The article is very informational, giving commonly asked questions about the law (such as “Is the law a complete ban on abortions?” and “Does the law make exceptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, or to protect the life of the mother?”), as well as answers to those questions.

However, I’m rather disappointed in the author of the article for only getting one side of the story. The author gets quotes from a policy analyst at a research organization which supports abortion rights and the executive director from an organization that helps low-income women pay for abortions, among others. No one from the pro-life side of the issue is brought in to bring the other side of the story into view, which is interesting as 47% of the country identifies with such as stance, according to a Gallup poll.

Everything is here, Caleb. You have summary and comment. You have a link.

I would agree the writer should have included a balancing source. There are only two included in the story. I did not look to see if the writer was an “expert.”