I see, but do I perceive?

Lil Nas X: The Social Media Pop Star

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/9816600/old-town-road-lil-nas-journey-pop-star/

Grant Rolling uses this article to share more about the life of Lil Nas X after his song, Old Town Road, won song of the year at the VMAs yesterday. After the record breaking 19 weeks at number one on the charts, he explains how 20-year-old Lil Nas X, whose real name is Montero Lamar Hill, came from a very nontraditional background of a pop-star. Rolling goes through Hill’s current accomplishments, such as being on TIME magazine and meeting other celebrities.  Rolling then dives into Hill’s origins. He starts from Hill’s home in Georgia and ending when he moved to Austell with his father when he nine. Finally, he discusses Old Town Road’s humble beginnings. Hill spread the song on social media, it getting recognition on the short video app TikTok. The song was noticed by Billy Ray Cyrus after it was booted from the country chart, leading the remix that topped the charts. The article ends with Rolling quoting Hill on his sexuality, saying “I feel like I’m opening the doors for more people.”

I think a story like this one is interesting because it highlights just how powerful social media is in music this day and age. Lil Nas X, who is only a year older than me, got his start just by spreading his song on different social media, which was a deliberate tactic he was using to break into the music industry. Another interesting point in the article is how Lil Nas X has to fight against harassment on social media as well after he came out. Social media’s influence on Lil Nas X’s career is a double-edged sword. He is closer to his audience, but more available to trolls. The article actually included one of my favorite tweets of his, which reads “Wow man last year I was sleeping on my sisters floor, had no money, struggling to get plays on my music, suffering from daily headaches, now i’m gay.” His openness is another aspect that draws him closer to his listeners who share in his humor.

1. crstaff

OK on the comment, Calissa, but one thing you might want to consider is why this is news for The Sun? (Do you read this regularly?) As an English newspaper, how familiar will its readers be to X? What will readers gain from the story? Was the recognition of his sexuality central to the story?

© 2024 Calissa Writes

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑