Film Review
Saturday October 15th 2022, 1:15 pm
Filed under: Uncategorized

The movie Dog directed by Reid Carolin and Channing Tatum tells the story of Army Ranger Briggs and a dog named Lulu as they take a trip of their lives to get to a funeral on time. Briggs and Lulu were both put on this trip against their will, and very obviously did not get along. 

I found the tension between the two very humorous. I enjoyed this movie because it kept me entertained. There were a lot of moments in the movie when I said “oh no” because I could sense that something bad was going to happen. Not only was the movie humorous but it was also heartwarming as it followed along the life stories of both Briggs and Lulu. 

The directors Channing Tatum and Reid Carolin are no strangers to each other. They have worked together on many movies together in the past. They are best known for the movies Magic Mike and White House Down. All of these movies became very successful.

Dog is based on a story by Carolin and Brett Rodriguez. Channing Tatum stars as Briggs, an Army Ranger who is tasked with bringing the military dog of his fallen friend to his funeral.

Briggs had recently been deemed unfit for service and suffers with PTSD and a brain injury which causes migraines and potential seizures. Briggs is ordered to escort Lulu to the funeral because nobody else wants to deal with Lulu’s violent behavior. 

The drive starts off as a disaster when Lulu breaks out of her cage and destroys the interior of Brigg’s truck. He claims he has no other option but to give Lulu sedatives so that she sleeps. Briggs often neglected Lulu on the trip and this made her quite agitated. 

The rest of the trip is quite jam-packed with adventure as Lulu sniffs out a weed farm and almost gets Briggs killed. After making friends with the farmer and his wife they go back on their journey. The pair pretends to be a blind man and seeing eye dog for a free hotel room. However, they get caught when Lulu sees a Middle Eastern man and attacks him, putting Briggs in jail. 

After being released Briggs decides to visit his own family, but after being turned away he decides to bring Lulu to see her brother, another dog that was adopted by an Army Ranger. During this visit Briggs learns how to bond with Lulu and makes a deeper connection with her.

Coincidentally Briggs’s car breaks down on their last stretch to get to the funeral. After staying the night in an abandoned barn, the two are forced to hitch hike and walk the rest of the way, making it to the funeral just in time.

This was a very entertaining movie and I really enjoyed it. Though towards the end I feel as though there were times that the obvious thing happened. It seemed as though everything that could go wrong did. However, I would recommend this movie to others because it is both a comedic and heartwarming story. I believe that many people would enjoy this movie just like I did.