An Old West Hollywood Estate Sells for a Record Price – News Article #13

Designer and developer Morgan Brown recently sold the 1920 estate for $16.55 million, which is a West Hollywood record.

The Los Angeles-area estate was designed by Morgan Brown and was intended to be a retreat location. According to Nancy Ruhling, the Mediterranean styled residence was built in 1924 and consists of four buildings. The buildings are connected by a courtyard with a saltwater pool. This estate is considered to be one of the first and one of the largest of the area.

This is news to me mostly because it is bizarre, although I would typically say this wouldn’t be a leading article on a news site… This article also had a few interesting points that made me think it was almost a mix between a feature and an attempt at being a news article. The article had a few quotes from the real estate agents, but mostly just discussed the estate.

I just now went back to the article, and I realize it is not a Wall Street Journal article like I normally select. As it turns out, I clicked on an advertised article that was linked on the WSJ. It is considered to be an independent article from the WSJ newsroom. But that goes to show that it was bizarre enough that I didn’t even notice it was a different source, I was intrigued enough in a $16.55 million home that I wanted to read more.

1 Comment

1. fuglsang Says:

Quite a house. You’re probably right that this is a mix of news and feature, mostly because it’s in a publication that focuses on pricey real estate. So this is news about a particular sale, an expensive one, even by LA standards, but it is also an important property historically.

The power of advertising. Mad you look!