Article #3 – Final 11/15

*audio noises for intro*

Today, conflict continues between North and South Korea. Are they nudging closer to a war?

Then, do you work in a toxic workplace? It could be affecting your health.

Later, are you addicted to your phone? And does the screen time notification actually help, or hurt you?

*audio noises* This is news with Ben at ten *more audio noises*

(Article 1):

Are North and South Korea nudging closer to a war?

The latest updates come as North and South Korea fired warning shots into the waters just off their west coast. They are blaming each other for breaching a de facto maritime border.

Evidence is unclear who is poking the bear more. But the occasional “accidental breach” may be pushing these two countries closer to conflict.

MAC office Vice President, Jacob Murphy commented, “Yeah, I don’t really see this conflict escalating. I just think it’s more so that they don’t like each other and don’t respect each other enough to not do anything.”

What can we expect next from these neighboring countries? I guess only time will tell.

Transition: Up next, turning our focus towards toxic workplaces.

(Article 2):

Do you work in a toxic workplace? Disrespectful or cutthroat workplaces could be detrimental for your mental and physical health. 

A toxic workplace has a variety of definitions. One main definition includes working long hours, having limited autonomy, or being paid a low wage.

Workplaces are receiving more scrutiny after a recent comment where surgeon general Dr. Murthy said, “Toxic workplaces are harmful to workers—to their mental health, and it turns out, to their physical health as well.”

His statement comes as several million people report stress from work.

We talked to Justin McElligott of Morningside to hear his experience with toxic workplaces, “It was not a great work environment and it affected a lot of people in that place. Many people quit, and so did I.”

The stress caused in these environments can disrupts sleep, weaken your immune system, and increase your chance of physical or mental health illnesses.

Transition: Stress isn’t the only thing that disrupts sleep. Phone addictions may also be contributing to sleep insomnia. Which brings us to ask:

(Article 3):

Are you addicted to your phone? Does Apple’s screen time report actually help curb phone addictions?

According to a recent 2022 Gallup poll, six in ten Americans believe they use their phone too much. Apple’s screen time tracker was developed to help people forge better relationships with their devices.

I asked Morningside student Caden Schulte about his phone time usage notifications, “Whenever I see my screen time alerts, I think ‘oh no’ and realize that I certainly need to get off my phone and get out in the world a little more.”

While the normal Sunday morning screen time notification might help some forge a better relationship. Others say that all it does is instill anxiety.

Transition: For better or for worse, *audio noises for outro*

Outro: That was news with Ben at ten. Thanks for listening. I’m Ben and it’s been my pleasure.