Media Comparison

Pfizer Covid vaccine: FDA authorizes for kids ages 5 to 11.

In the video clip, a reporter is saying the lead while a summary of the lead is displayed on the screen. The written article’s lead simply gives more detail to the title.

In the written article, there are three or more sources while in the news clip, Dr. Anthony Fauci is the only source. Fauci is attributed in the news clip at the beginning of his interview with Don Lemon. The sources in the written article are attributed with quotes and given credit accordingly.

The two stories have the same message behind them: doctors agree with the FDA’s approval of the first covid vaccine for children. Both articles interview different physicians to get the message across to parents about vaccination.

The footage throughout the news clip is mainly the interview between Fauci and Lemon; some graphics of statistics are shown as well. I think they should have added more pictures in the news clip because I lost interest in just listening and watching them talk. Pictures of the vaccine and of children receiving a vaccine are shown in the written article.

The structure in both is like an inverted pyramid, starting with the most important information then digressing to lesser important topics. I personally like this style because it gives viewers and readers the chance to learn about the most important information first rather than later.