Elwood Olsen Stadium-Final Draft

I chose to do my first story article on Elwood Olsen stadium. I chose Elwood Olsen stadium because I drive or walk by it every day and depending on the time, a lot can be going on.
Elwood Olsen stadium, formerly known as Roberts Stadium up until 2005, has been home to Morningside football and soccer games as well as home football games for the Sioux City public high schools.
The first time that I went to Olsen Stadium to observe was before my 8 o’clock class. I heard birds chirping and cars driving by, but there wasn’t much going on inside the stadium other than a few people taking what looked like a morning jog on the track. Since there wasn’t much going on I decided that I would use this time to look around and record what I saw. There were a couple people running on the maroon track and since it was a bit cold, one guy was wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I couldn’t help but notice this guy because his sweatshirt was neon green and he seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. I came to the conclusion that he had been running for quite some time because of the way he was running. His strides were long and slow and every lap only seemed to get slower as the sound of his shoes hitting the track became more forceful and loud. There weren’t many people on the track this morning and I wasn’t surprised by that because I didn’t expect anyone to be there this early in the morning. I also noticed this girl running on the track. She didn’t stick out because of her appearance like the guy in the neon sweatshirt did, but she stuck out because of what she was doing. Instead of getting in a morning jog, she seemed to be doing some kind of training because she was running what looked to be 100 meter sprints. She wasn’t dressed as heavily as the man I had watched as she was just wearing black shorts and a shirt. After watching her for a couple of minutes I decided that was enough observing for the time being and I went to class.
I chose to come back to Elwood Olsen Stadium around 4 o’clock because I knew that the scene would be different than it was in the morning with football practice going on. It was still overcast outside and it had rained a little bit earlier giving the turf a shimmering kind of glow. In the morning I could only here shoes hitting the track and birds chirping, but now there were a few more sounds. I heard coaches yelling and talking to players, players talking to each other, and footballs hitting pads and the ground. I saw what looked to be at least 50 football players spread out all across the field by position. Everything got kind of repetitive so I stopped watching and headed home.
Like I said, I chose to observe Elwood Olsen Stadium because I frequently walk by it and you’ll see something different depending on the time of day. It had a calm atmosphere in the morning as opposed to an upbeat and loud atmosphere in the afternoon.

Comments

One Response to “Elwood Olsen Stadium-Final Draft”
  1. Fuglsang says:

Keep working on getting in sensory detail, Tom. You’re still pretty visual. Sounds of the runners’ breathing? Of the shoes as they slap the track?

Look at the last sentence. This could be a theme of sorts: the calmness of the stadium when it’s not game day.

Another them could be tat it’s a home to athletes every day of the week. How could you build on that?