Occupy My Blog!

Complements to MAC, last Friday I was able to attend a free midnight screening of In Time. This slightly better than average film featuring Justin Timberlake (singer from children of the 90’s pop sensation “N*Sync”) and Amanda Seyfried (Karen Smith from Meangirls; “…one of the dumbest girls you will ever meet.”) managed to provide enough entertainment to prevent me from snoring in the theater. However, after looking back at the overall meaning of the movie, and further interpretive concepts, I see that it is almost a mirror image of the Occupy Wall Street movement. The idea of “equal distribution amongst all people” has been a reoccurring theme throughout the world’s history. Regardless if it was equal distribution of time, goods, money, food, or even representation in government, this theme has always found a way into society’s most problematic issues. It comes as no surprise to me that many “Occupy” movements have been launched, not only in the U.S., but across the world as well. Inspired by the non-violent actions Gandhi, Egyptians sought voting rights from their government. Furthermore, Chilean citizens are currently protesting through an “Occupy Schools” movement. So far, most Chilean students have not attended classes since last May; hoping to publicize Chili’s educational problems. Personally, I greatly appreciate the intentions and effort put forth by all people’s participating in “Occupy Movements”. However, I must ask, are the original intentions of such movements still intact, or have they deviated? If the motivations have deviated, then what may have caused such deviations?

For your enjoyment: The Protest Song