Sarah Sorenson’s Nightmare Before Christmas

Okay everybody, mark your calendars because the day has been saved–Friday, November 25th, 2011 aka BLACK FRIDAY. To many non-early-risers this is just another Friday (with the exception of weighing 7Ibs more.) However, for me and my family this is the Friday where we buy a majority of Christmas gifts for our family members, friends, and sometimes ourselves. Preparing for such an event takes time and days of scouting-out stores (parking, store entrances/exits, cart location, possible item locations, and interviewing store employees about product quantities); not to mention the amount of patience required when looking through coupon books and store flyers. It is vital that everything is planned out ahead of time and that everyone sticks to the plan, or else it becomes nearly impossible to get what you want for such a steal.

Some people may think that Black Friday Shoppers are insane, but tell me, is it really insane to pass up the opportunity of purchasing a brand new, Nook Color for $60? Now, I know that Black Friday has a bad reputation for stampedes, deaths, being animalistic, and also for exposing a person for their true selfishness (shall we remember “Jingle All the Way”?).  I mean, last year I was even held at knife-point until I forfeited a Kodak digital camera, no joke! Sometimes it is easy to forget the humanity when consumed by poison.

However, in all honesty, I’m not in on Black Friday for the prices (sometimes), but rather I’m in on it because of the family bonding aspect. Okay, I know, it does not really sound like “family fun time,” but in order for Black Friday to work, my family must unite and cooperate as a team. Black Friday provides my family with an opportunity to put effort into our relationships under the circumstances of: sleep deprivation, hunger, stress, and not to mention, a time constraint. I know it might sound rather strange, but it is true. I guess you could say that Black Friday is my family’s way of getting ready for the Holiday season; the less time we have to spend worrying about getting gifts for people, the more time we have to enjoy one anothers company.