Fract-tabulous!!!

Review: You may not know exactly what a “fractal” is, however, I can guarantee that you have seen one. According to the NOVA episode, a fractal is “an odd-looking shape” that is characterized by the endless repetition (iteration) of jigs and jags. Originally studied by Benoit Mandelbrot, a fractal can easily be made by “taking a smooth-looking shape and breaking it into pieces, over and over again.” A fractal is useful when interpreting mathematical systems into everyday life. For instance, fractals can be used to understand a person’s heartbeat, in addition to understanding basic structures of nature, like trees or lightning. Furthermore, Mandelbrot claimed that a key element to understanding fractal geometry is to “think not of what you see, but what it took to produce what you see.” With this in mind, it is easier to understand why the scientists towards the end of the NOVA episode went about their ways.

Response:  In a way, I feel like I just got done watching the season premiere of NUMB3Rs. I mean, I am completely mind-boggled that such a thing exists. Yet, at the same token I see how it makes sense. Every time I read or hear about scientists and mathematicians coming up with equations to define the natural world and how it works I become instantly AMAZED! I cannot imagine ever doing such a thing!!! Now a fractal…WOW! That’s something! Not only can a fractal be used as an element of design and fashion, but it can also be used to determine the amount of carbon dioxide a forest absorbs. In agreement with the NOVA episode, I can only hope that a fractal will help in the future medical field. However, I have just one question to ask out of mere technological frustration: If fractals are being used in my computer for a wireless connection, then why is it so hard to connect to the server?!?!?!

1.   Meghann Said:

on September 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM

I love that the show NUMB3RS! I totalluy agree that is mind-boggling that such things exsist.

{ RSS feed for comments on this post}