September 22, 2011

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-14998248

This shit is utterly ridiculous. I expect this sort of crap from the American government, having grown up during the Bush years of destroying regulation and curtailing civil liberties. But India? They spawned Ghandi for Christ’s sake. It’s completely boggling to me that a country that gained it’s independence through unified, peaceful resistance can try to treat it’s citizen’s this way.

A half a dollar is not a livable wage in any part of the world, and using that to define who is poor and who is not is criminal. Not to mention the inflation that is afflicting every single currency in the world. If a full dollar is worth less than it used to be, a half a dollar will decline in value. I

t feels like the Indian government doesn’t know their world history. One of the major reasons that the Nazi party was even elected into a political position in the late 1920’s was because of the worthlessness of the duetchmark. Not to mention that an unhappy, poverty stricken lower class has been at the heart of numerous violent rebellions in the past, from the French Revolution to the Russians in the early part of the twentieth century.

Even if things don’t get that bad in India, keeping a vast majority of a country’s populace in poverty is no way to achieve becoming a superpower. Even if this is a way for India to save money from spending on the poor, there are better, longer lasting ways of doing it, like providing proper education and infrastructure so that the poor can break out of poverty on their own skills. This just smacks of people trying to find a quick fix to a major problem. It’s like applying a band-aid to a compound fracture. It won’t stop the bleeding or set the bone.

One Response to “News Comment #4”

1.   crstaff said:

I don’t know much about the situation in India, but it seems to me infrastructure is key. Plumbing, sewage, garbage collection, roads, bridges, etc. would be a good start. As the article points out, this is just an attempt to disguise the number of Indians living in poverty.