The Ganges Pilgrimage

Watching the Ganges Pilgrimage yesterday in class gave me a new way to look at what another type of pilgrimage can be like.  We have read, learned, and even walked through a pilgrimage on our own but the Ganges Pilgrimage seems to be very different than any of the pilgrimages we have learned about and I find that very fascinating.  The axis mundi is still there, just like any other pilgrimage.  Other things that are different about the Ganges Pilgrimage is they don’t have to live their city.  Some people don’t consider someone to make a full pilgrimage unless they leave their country and then return.  This one is in their city, and there are 5 different types of pilgrimages you can go on.

Not only was just learning how the Ganges Pilgrimage is different but also how they worship the Ganges River.  The people in India refer to the rive as Her.  They put a lot of emphasis on the river and how significant it is to them.  I found this interesting because it seems to me that each pilgrimage we have studied is about worshipping a different higher power.

I enjoyed getting to watch a another type of pilgrimage and I find it interesting the different types of worshipping that happens with each, but in it’s own way, each pilgrimage is similar.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to The Ganges Pilgrimage

1. Blake says:

I also find it interesting that they don’t have to leave their city in order to complete a pilgrimage. In all the other religions it seems like people are leaving their country in order to complete a pilgrimage. The fact that there are 5 different routes is also interesting to me. Having this many with the shortest one being the most important seems almost backwards to me. With the other religions the traveling part is very important so it would make sense to me to have the farthest route be the most powerful here.

2. Jack Danks says:

I would like to start this comment off by saying thanks for skipping out on class Thursday. I also enjoyed learning about this pilgrimage and how it is different from the previous ones that we have studied. Being able to connect things like axis mundis and sacred and profane things from other pilgrimages was very pleasing. I was able to connect them and understand this pilgrimage even more.

3. Sarah says:

After seeing the film, I also thought that the Hindu worship of the Ganges River was very interesting. I started to think about the significance that water has in the different religions. In the Hindu faith, it is worshiped during the pilgrimage to the Ganges River. In Christianity, it plays a major role in the baptismal sacrament and is also involved in the myths of many other religions.

Also, I found it pretty funny that people were so grossed out about the hundreds or maybe even thousands of people that bathe in the Ganges River a day. Last time I checked, all of the fish in Lake Okoboji (and most of the intoxicated swimmers) aren’t potty trained!!