Kathy O’s blog

June 22nd

Posted in Uncategorized by olson on the June 22, 2009

Belated Happy Father’s Day to all of you for whom that applies! We’ve been away from the internet for awhile! Becca and I have now been in Bambur almost a week. Brooke and Katie are still in Zing at the clinic and we haven’t been able to communicate (it’s a ways away). I’m sorry (to their families) but I don’t know if they have internet access or not, and of course…no cell phones for us here…though many, many Nigerians have them. Becca is doin’ a great job teaching about computers and is much loved. They’ve give her a Nigerian name…Penisum (one who cares). Very cool! After working at the school and seminary last week, we had free time this weekend and went to the local market with John Pena and Milka who helped us navigate and negotiate — very fun! I preached at a big UM church in Mutandaya yesterday — scary and wonderful all at the same time! God is so good, though and things went very well! We’re both teaching again this week and will head back to Jalingo probably Friday where we’ll hook up with Brooke and Katie and the rest of the Iowa-Nigeria team (Linda, Jim, Angela, Rachel, Anne, Sandy, Carolyn). Three members of our team were supposed to be heading home today so we’re praying that all is well with them. I’m sorry but I’m not going to be able to add pictures until later as the computers here are very slow. But we have tons of ’em so look out! They’ll be coming! Becca and I hope that all is well with you — we love you and can’t wait to see you again.
Nigeria is an amazing place….and oh, so beautiful! It’s going to be a challenge for us to get used to not being celebrities though…everywhere we go here, children run alongside and shout “Baturi! Baturi!” (white people), and they wave and smile like crazy! And they are so much fun…language isn’t a barrier when it comes to kids!

Comments Off on June 22nd