This past year, my dive into the world of photojournalism has been a whirlwind of discovery and growth. From the basics of snapping shots to the intricacies of editing, each class session has been a step forward in honing my skills and understanding the art of visual storytelling. Reflecting on this journey, it’s clear that the enjoyment I’ve found in this class stems from the new techniques I’ve learned and how they’ve helped me perform better.

At the start of the semester, I had a pretty limited view of photography. Sure, I knew how to point and shoot, but I hadn’t really thought about the different angles and perspectives that could make a photo stand out. That changed quickly as I learned to experiment with various angles. Whether it was getting low to the ground for a unique perspective or finding a higher vantage point for a wider view, playing with angles opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me.

Another game-changer was learning about cropping. It sounds simple, but mastering the art of cropping took my photos to the next level. Suddenly, I wasn’t just capturing scenes, I was crafting compositions. By cropping out distractions and focusing on key elements, I could guide the viewer’s eye and tell a more compelling story with each shot.

Editing was another major improvement for me and my work. At first, I was hesitant about messing with my photos too much. I didn’t want to lose the authenticity of the moment. But as I got more comfortable with editing software, I realized that it’s not about changing reality; it’s about enhancing it. Adjusting exposure, tweaking colors, and sharpening details, all of it helped me bring out the best in my photos while staying true to the essence of the moment.

As the semester progressed, I could see the impact of these new skills in my work. Assignments became less daunting as I gained confidence in my ability to frame shots creatively, crop them effectively, and polish them with editing. Whether I was documenting a campus event or telling a story through a series of photos, I felt more equipped to capture the essence of the moment and communicate it visually.

Throughout the semester, I noticed a big change in how my photos looked. At first, they were kind of messy and didn’t really stand out. But as I learned more about things like composition and balance, I started paying more attention to what was in my shots. I started thinking about things like lines and space, and it made a big difference. My photos started to look more dynamic and interesting.

I also got better at telling stories with my photos. At the beginning, I mostly just focused on making things look nice. But as I studied different photographers and their work, I realized that photos can say a lot more than just what’s in them. So I started paying more attention to the emotions and stories behind the scenes. It helped me connect more with my subjects and make my photos more meaningful.

Overall, this class has been a real eye-opener for me. I’ve learned so much about how to take better photos and tell better stories with them. I’m excited to keep improving and see where my photography journey takes me next.

In closing, my photojournalism class has been an unforgettable journey of learning and discovery. Through exploring different angles, mastering cropping techniques, and embracing the art of editing, I’ve not only improved my skills behind the lens but also developed a deeper appreciation for the power of visual storytelling. I’m grateful for the experiences and lessons gained along the way, and I look forward to continuing to explore the world through the lens of my camera. Thank you Ross, for guiding me making this class a lot of fun.