2004, Computer Networking and Information Systems, WITCC
Associates in Applied Science, Graduated with honours
2018, Mathematics & Computer Science, Morningside College
Bachelor of Science
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP networking
- Cisco-trained CCNA coursework with additional extensive HP ProCurve experience
- Proxim Certified Wireless Expert
- Aruba (Wireless) Mobility Professional Training
- Maintaining large networks served by AIX, FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, and Windows Server 2003-2012 operating systems
- Administer faculty and staff workstations with Active Directory and Group Policy to easily deploy software and upgrades
PC and Server Repair
- WITCC A+ course work certifying for PC hardware in 2004
- Dell Server Certified in 2007
In the Data Center
- Installed and administered iSCSI, NFS and SAS direct-attached Storage Area Network solutions ranging from 800GB to 8TB
- Implemented a fault tolerant network including two core routers
- Deploy and maintain VMWare ESX infrastructure from v3 to v6.
- Windows 2000 Microsoft Certified Professional
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Products
Unix and Linux
- Fluent with RedHat, Debian, and Gentoo Linuxes
- 10 years experience on Linux and FreeBSD
- Use of FreeBSD specifically in network gateway-router configuration
- Nagios / Netsaint network monitoring fluency
- Apache and MySQL administration and tuning for active web applications
- Samba and Winbind with Active Directory integration for SCP, CIFS, and web authentication
- Use of CFEngine configuration management software to automate tasks and provide consistent server set-up
- Administer Windows Active Directory Domain (including some Group Policy experience)
- Administer Windows IAS (now NPS) for RADIUS serving Aruba wireless systems
- Implemented Google Apps integration: Google Apps Directory Sync and Google Apps AD Password Sync
- Administer WSUS patching/policy services
Programming and Internet
- Working knowledge of server side web development methods with CGI, REST, and MySQL
- Strong with Perl, Python, PHP, and UNIX shell scripting
- C / C++ experience
- VCS experience using Git and Subversion
- Administrated popular web applications and frameworks: Moodle, WordPress, MoinMoin, Mediawiki, and others
Noteworthy Computer Education
- Microcomputer Systems (A+ Coursework)
- Electronic Concepts (Electronics coursework)
- Cisco 1 – 4 (CCNA coursework)
- MCSE Classes (Certification coursework)
- Finished above with a 4.0 average.
Dec `14 – Current Morningside College Sioux City, IA
Senior Systems Administrator – Duties include overseeing all work done by Systems Administrator role and additional responsibilities as an expert end-point for IT on campus. Maintain and advise for critical systems (including infrastructure and custom applications).
Jun `07 – Dec `14 Morningside College Sioux City, IA
Systems Administrator – Tasks include those of the Network Operations Specialist and grew to cover the modernization of the network by adding two redundant iSCSI SAN arrays, a fully redundant switched network with secondary core router functuality, virtualizing several servers and implementing clustering and DRBD fail-over server pairs.
Jun `07 – Jun `08 Morningside College Sioux City, IA
Network Operations Specialist – Responsible for improvement on a large network consisting of Linux mail servers (IMAP, POP, SMTP), DNS, Apache, MySQL, DHCP with client authentication, Windows Server 2k and `03 Domain with Active Directory and Group Policy administration for 200-800 client workstations. Implemented a unified login architecture utilizing Microsoft Active Directory logins to any and all network services. Implemented Nagios network monitoring to bring network reliability to unprecedented highs.
Jan `06 – Jun `07 Prince Hydraulics Corporation Sioux City, IA
Bar & Tube Machinist – Responsible for the operation of several machines involved in the fabrication of bar or tube components of a hydraulic cylinder including drilling and welding port holes, sawing raw material, skiving, and extrude honing. All work required technical blue-print reading with a careful attention to detail.
Aug `05 – Jan `06 Siouxland Insulation, LTD. Sioux City, IA
Mechanical Insulator – Manually applied fiberglass insulation to pipes and ducts at commercial sites as well as loading, installing and accounting for of material along with extensive use of ladders and man lifts.
Nov `04 – Aug `05 Advanced Computer Services Sioux City, IA
PC Technician – Responsible for performing customer requested preventative and corrective maintenance on PC’s and networks both on-site and in-shop. Duties also included maintaining store front and stock inventories along with customer service and phone support.
Other Interests and Accomplishments:
- Music, playing piano, guitar, bass, and drums
- Earned Royal Rangers Gold Medal of Achievement in 2002
- Learning about interests through books and do-it-yourself hobbies
- Functional and alternative programming / systems paradigms: Haskell, Scala, Clojure, and CFEngine
- Volunteering with Royal Rangers ministry