News Comment #7: Climber Who Competed Without Hijab Is Cheered on Return to Iran

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/19/world/middleeast/iran-climber-elnaz-rekabi.html

Elnaz Rekabi returned to Iran as a hero after climbing without a hijab on. Her motivations, and her fate, however, remain unclear.

Since September there has been the biggest protests in a decade seen in Iran. This all started due to the subsequent death of Masha Amini, a young woman accused by the country’s morality police of wearing her hijab too loosely. 

Ms. Rekabi made global headlines on Sunday for climbing at an international tournament without a hijab, defying Iran’s strictly enforced dress codes for female athletes. She became the center of the ongoing protest movement. It is still uncertain whether her competing without a hijab act was deliberate, but she said “It happened totally unintentionally,” to the reporters.

This article is in my opinion well-written. It gives background information on the protest movement happening in Iran, so everyone is able to understand the article. Furthermore, the writer combines that with the recent news of Elnaz Rekabi. Personally, I think the article is a perfect length for this topic, since it both includes politics and sports. Overall, I think the writer made a good job keeping it interesting and relevant.