When faced with free cookies, college students never say no. In fact, their reactions almost border on overjoyed. The day-to-day drudgery of college classes and homework paired with other life responsibilities can be hard on students. Take a look at any college student on any given day and you’ll see someone who’s sleepy, stressed, or both. A bag of chocolate chip cookies is exactly what these students didn’t know they wanted.

That’s where I came in.

I set out to distribute 12 bags of chocolate chip cookies, rejection planted firmly in the front of my mind. Nobody in their right mind would accept cookies from a stranger. Everybody knows that you never accept food from someone you don’t know.

That’s where I was wrong.

Even though I was clearly sick, cough and stuffy nose included, people wanted my cookies.

I walked to the post office. I walked to the help desk on the first floor of Lewis Hall. I went into the bookstore. I walked back and forth between the buildings so much that people probably started to think I was crazy. The sun beat down on me and the box of cookies started to slip out of my hands, but I continued on.

I would never talk to these people normally. Most students just pass each other in the halls or on the sidewalks, buried in their phones or talking to their friends. People don’t go out of their way to acknowledge someone they don’t know. But I was about to face them head-on.

Naturally, these people were skeptical at first. I asked them if they wanted cookies. They seemed confused. All of the college students, and yes, I do mean all of them, asked me if I was serious before accepting the snack-sized treats.

The shock on their faces turned to smiles as I handed over the promised goods and went on my way. Everyone said thank you, but no one really asked why.

In fact, I was only rejected once by Stacie Hays, who specializes in career services and professional development at Morningside College.

“Any other day I would take the cookies, but I just started a diet program with the college,” Hays said.

The lure of free cookies does not affect everyone equally. While I started this experiment pretty pessimistic about my results, I started to enjoy making a small difference in someone’s day. I may never find myself in this situation again, but it’s good to know that cookies are a great way to break the ice.

2 Responses to “And That’s the Way the Cookie Crumbles”

1.   Mari said:

I really liked how you set the scene in this story. It focused more on you and less on the people you were giving the cookies to, but I think that is what makes it unique. I would have liked to hear you of your conversation with Stacie though, and maybe explained her quote as well. It just seemed choppy from her quote to your last paragraph.

2.   fuglsang said:

“Most students just pass each other in the halls or on the sidewalks, buried in their phones or talking to their friends. People don’t go out of their way to acknowledge someone they don’t know.” This is what I am working against, Lindsey. Even though I’m an introvert who avoids human contact, I acknowldge the ability to speak to strangers is critical.

“No one asked why.” That does seem odd. They’re suspicious, yet they don’t ask the most obvious question.

I do agree with Mari. Stacie’s response was an invitation for a conversation. She WANTED to talk about her diet. That’s the ice. Break it.