Homer, the oldest polar bear at the Midland Zoo in Sioux City, died this morning in his enclosure. As stated in previous years, polar bears have thrived at the zoo since 1985.

According to the zookeeper, Sara N. Getty, “Homer was a very curious and playful polar bear and we will miss him terribly.”

The polar bear exhibit is unique to the natural environment of the bears and allows them to lead very active lifestyles. For years, the bears have been a figurehead for their wild counterparts, educating the public about their threatened existence.

There have been two other animal deaths this month, however zoo director Chris P. Bacon is confident that the deaths are unrelated and will conduct an investigation to determine the exact cause of 16 year old Homer’s death.

“We will do everything in our power to determine how this bear died. Animal welfare and the preservation of species are our primary goals here at the zoo.”

One Response to “Midland Zoo mourns the loss of 16 year old polar bear”

1.   fuglsang said:

“As stated in previous years” could be cut.

The lead is otherwise fine, but I think you need to reassure readers sooner that the Zoo will work hard to find out what happened. And, as I said in class, I don’t think you need to mention the other two deaths.