header image

Nuns sell rare Honus Wagner baseball card for $262K

http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=5767507

I was just browsing ESPN.com today and I saw the article title, “Nuns sell rare Honus Wagner baseball card for 262K.” I thought this was very interesting and humorous in a way, because you don’t really see things like this very often. The nuns decided to put it up for sale after inheriting it from the brother of a deceased nun. The baseball card was produced between 1909 and 1911 and there are only 60 known to still exist. I just thought it was interesting that this story was a headline on ESPN.com. The story is more about the value and age of the card, not necessarily sports.

I don’t think this is real news and definitely should not have earned a spot as a headline for ESPN. Things like this happen all the time and most people do not even know who Honus Wagner is. I know I don’t. Maybe if it was a Babe Ruth or Reggie Jackson card, this would be some form of news, but Honus Wagner? Who?

~ by Jordan on .

One Response to “Nuns sell rare Honus Wagner baseball card for $262K”

1. I will comment on this one since I’m pretty much Raider’d out.

Only 60 cards exist. He was a baseball player. It was worth millions (I’m assuming.)

This is a feature story, Jordan. It’s news value is somewhat different than sports (which is a feature of a different sort). I’d be willing to bet there are many ESPN readers who are also collectors of sports memorabilia, making this an interesting story.