header image

NFL officiating blows calls

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81bb1fd0/article/conference-call-with-all-officials-will-address-recent-mistakes?module=HP_headlines

The NFL has scheduled a conference call for all officiating groups after a few shoddy calls officiating calls last week. The league is unhappy with how certain plays were called and would like to have a “pep talk” with all league officials before this weekend’s games. The two most controversial calls of the week involved the final moments of the Pittsburgh vs. Miami game, and also a catch made by Visanthe Shiancoe of the Minnesota Vikings that was ruled incomplete. I haven’t followed this situation very closely, but I was aware of it before I really researched what had happened that was causing such controversy. I have seen both plays that were called incorrectly and they are pretty blatant, so hopefully the league gets them right from now on.

This is news to your average football fan, especially if you follow the NFL closely or are either a Pittsburgh Steelers or Minnesota Vikings fan. Both calls were big because they cost both teams a victory. This was a good article that really helped explain what was going on and what the league was trying to do to fix it. I personally would have tried to get a quote or statement from Commissioner Goodell on the subject if he was available to talk.

~ by Jordan on .

One Response to “NFL officiating blows calls”

1. Was this what got a coach (Vikings?) fined for criticizing referees? “Pep talk” is kind of an interesting phrase. They can’t call it criticism because that would cast doubt not just on the referees, but on the credibility of the league and the games.