header image

Terry Branstad speaks at Morningside College

Former governor, Terry Branstad, answered questions from potential voters on Tuesday here at Morningside College. Much of the focus of his speech revolved around education including financial aid, preschool programs and the recognition of teachers.

Branstad also covered topics including same sex marriage, abortion, and his stance on health care. However, due to the location of a college campus and with multiple teachers and students in the audience, the overpowering subject was education.

“You don’t start a new program on entitlement you cannot afford,” stated Branstad when asked about his stance on preschool. The former governor had recently been said to “hate preschool.”

“Ummmm I thought that he, hmm hold on lemme think about this…umm..I think he..I don’t know I don’t really care so it was hard for me to pay attention, but if I cared…I don’t know,” said fellow student Lesley Mathers. I had a similar impression of Branstad’s speech myself.

Branstad has previously been in office as governor of Iowa and was active for four terms. In his time as governor, Branstad increased the number and amount of tuition grants in Iowa as well as lowered the state’s unemployment rate from approximately 8% to approximately 2%.

When asked what influenced his decision to return to politics and run for governor, Branstad claimed he made the decision because he “loves Iowa.”

~ by Jordan on .