header image

Inspiring Speech from an Inspiring Student

On the eve of September 23, 2010, Alex Watters gave a speech to this year’s freshmen class about the importance of happiness in life. Watters’ lecture was held in Eppley Auditorium.

The main focus of Watters’ presentation was about an accident in his past, leaving him paralyzed from about chest level down, and how he has coped with his life changing dramatically by learning the importance of finding happiness.

“I feel that the presentation went well. I didn’t feel as if I choked, or stumbled through any of my points, so that’s a plus! But other than that, I guess I feel that I’m the wrong person to ask about my presentation. I can feel that my presentation was amazing, but if the audience can’t relate, or if I wasn’t able to accurately deliver my message to the freshman class, then I would feel disappointed,” Watters’ stated during an interview.

Luckily for Alex, he has nothing to feel disappointed about. The buzz around campus following Watters’ speech was, from what I experienced, nothing but positive.  “It was a motivational speech that inspired me to look on the optimistic side of life,” said fellow student Amber Winther.

Alex’s speech included an in-depth description of his accident, gritty details and all. Watters was injured on the night of September 11, 2004, while night swimming with friends. He dove head first into Lake Okoboji unaware of the depth of that area of the lake. It turned out to be a mere 18-inches deep, snapping his neck on impact. Watters was flown by helicopter back to Sioux City for treatment, and later decided to rehab at a specialty hospital in Denver, Colorado. At the time of his accident, Alex was only 18-years-old.

Watters included in his speech his gratitude towards his family and friends for all of their help during his time in rehab. “My parents’ ability to be with me through rehab helped give me great support and reassurance that I was going to be okay. As for the recovery process, they were always right there next to me supporting my dreams and any ambitions that I took on. They have never tried to hold me back and always urged me to never let my disability hold me back, and for that I’m grateful.” Watters said.

After his rehab process, Alex returned to Morningside College dedicated to continue his education. Along the way, he developed countless relationships. One relationship in particular, with Dr. Leslie Werden of the Writing and Rhetoric Department, is still very strong.

When asked about her first impression of Alex, Dr. Werden had this to say, “Well, I had seen him on campus and obviously he was the only student in a wheelchair tooling around campus and I was always curious about what had happened to him. My first impression of him when he got into a public speaking course was, “Wow this is a really confident guy in a wheelchair.”

Dr. Werden was initially responsible for setting up the presentation in Eppley with Watters, who was more than happy to tell his story. “I am grateful for an opportunity to be able to educate individuals about my situation and paralysis in general,” said Watters.

Alex recently graduated from Morningside College and is currently attending Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska.

~ by Jordan on .

3 Responses to “Inspiring Speech from an Inspiring Student”

1. Good topic. Good quotes by him and great structure and organization.

2. Good article. Your quotes seem to capture important moments in the speech. You’ve got some great sources for your quotes.

3. When asked about her first impression of Alex, Dr. Werden had this to say, “Well, I had seen him on campus and obviously he was the only student in a wheelchair tooling around campus and I was always curious about what had happened to him. My first impression of him when he got into a public speaking course was, ‘Wow this is a really confident guy in a wheelchair.'”

This is how you do a quote within a quote. ^ Use an apostrophe within the quotation marks to designate a quote within a quote.

Good story though. It is very well written.