Real Thoughts with Dylan

November 21, 2017

Walmart at 2 am.

Filed under: Uncategorized — Dylan @ 10:59 am

Typically, I go to Walmart either on weekend afternoons or weekday evenings around 7 pm, and each time I go it is insanely busy and is filled with people of all ages and from all walks of life. There have been occasional times where I’ve been to Walmart late at night, but this was with friends at home because in small town Iowa, there isn’t much else to do but go be a hooligan at the local Walmart. I have never been to a Walmart late at night during a weekday in a moderate city, so I knew this would be a new experience for me.

I walked into Walmart, and it seemed like the apocalypse hit. There wasn’t a single person at first glance, not even a greeter like you’d expect at Walmart. From what I was able to see, there was only one checker at the checkouts, and they were on the complete opposite end of the store. I venture through the store to pick up the bread, milk, and string cheese like I intended to do, but I decided I would roam around the store to see if I could find anyone else in the store that did not work for Walmart. It was almost a surreal experience hearing the echoing of George Michael’s “Careless Whisper” that I typically hear along with so many voices, yet this time it was the music alone.

After about five minutes of roaming, I decided to get the stuff I needed and get out of there. When I finally got to the one checker that was up front, I decided to ask her about the typical late shift at Walmart. She told me that, “What you see right now is typically how it is. Typically I will only see about a handful of customers every hour until the morning.”

Overall, I think going to Walmart at a late hour is a very lonely and slightly creepy experience, especially when you’re used to the typical business of Walmart that one would expect when they go there during the day.

1 Comment»

1. Metaphor — Like the apoalypse hit — is OK, on occasion. Just make sure you show after you tell.

I think I want the cashier’s job. I like to work alone.

fuglsang — November 24, 2017 @ 1:37 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.  TrackBack URI