Being A Man

The article “Being A Man”, is one of the first articles that I have read that mostly concentrates on the negative characteristics of being a man. The author of this article has a huge purpose for writing the article and I believe that it is to show people how society has many general characteristics for what men should be and what men should do to be considered “manly” and if they don’t behave in such a way are considered weird or different. The author brought up the phrase “Be a man!” and what that really means. In society today being a man is looked at as being stupid, be unfeeling, obedient, soldierly and stop thinking. The author points out how our youth is taught this concept and they see so many examples of it that this is what they are pressured to do even if they don’t agree with it. He writes a little about Femininity and how women have another role to follow and are taught to follow it at a young age. Being lady-like is something all girls are taught and assumed to do their whole life. Something in the article stuck out to me that I realize is extremely true today. When boys turn 13-16 and looking at meeting girls they are extremely pressured to join sports, be an athlete in order to be the cool kid. This to me is true and real because when I was younger girls are taught to think an athletic man is more appealing. It is shown in this article than men are pressured to be a typical man by showing certain characteristics. I believe the audience that this reading was intended for is young men that are athletes or non-athletes. I think this article was more of an opinion piece but if the author was trying to educate people needed to have more facts and approach with a different tone. I do think that this article was effective and has so many great points that should be shared with boys around the world.