The Blog of Courtney Klocke

News Comment: 94-Year-Old Ex-Nazi Guard Goes On Trial Over Mass Killings At Concentration Camps

Johann Rehbogen, a 94 year old ex-Nazi guard, is on trial for being an accessory to the killings of Jewish prisoners at concentration camps. Since he was under the age of 21 during the crimes, he is being tried as a juvenile and if convicted could receive 15 years. Rehbogen will most likely be unable to serve his full sentence if convicted because of his poor health, which only allows him to be in court for two hours per day in his wheelchair. Jens Rommel, Investigator of Nazi Crimes in Ludwigsburg, believes the conviction will be tough though without the testimonies of survivors and the trial it being nearly 70 years later.

The article does good on giving background of the trial and why Mr. Rehbogen is being tried for his work as a guard. The inclusion of the indictment adds great depth to the article by giving chilling details of the crimes committed. The lead is definitely compelling as well because a 94 year old man is being tried as a juvenile for crimes 70 years ago. The article also makes you feel conflicted because the man was a part of something extremely terrible, but when it mentions his health you feel empathic towards him.

I find this article to be extremely interesting because I’m not sure how they are able to try someone 70 years later, which I’m guessing Germany doesn’t have a statue of limitations if that’s the case. I have always found interesting in World War II history, so I immediately was drawn in by the headline and lead.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/06/664673163/94-year-old-accused-in-concentration-camp-murders-goes-on-trial-in-germany

1 Comment

1. fuglsang

I think a lot of people will share your reasons for reading the story. WWII is on a lot of people’s minds, for a lot of reasons, and the human interest in this story will get attention.