This I Believe

Believing in ghosts is a very person-to-person thing. I personally believe in ghosts, along with my roommates. The five of us think our house is haunted. We hear things, see things, and experience things, to the point where we have no doubt about it that our house is haunted. Some people may think that the people who do believe in ghosts are just crazy or over think things, and when you’re telling those people stories they just look at you as if you are the most stupid person ever.

This experience that I’m about to share has happened twice to two different roommates. And before Josh came and told all of us the story no one had ever really mentioned anything about the house being haunted, so everyone was giving him the “you’re crazy” look. I sat there believing every word he said not only because I believe in ghosts but because I’ve lived in this house completely alone for 12 weeks straight, I’ve heard some pretty unexplainable things, thankfully I’ve never seen anything.

***

All the roommates were just hanging out in the living room doing homework, watching TV and just relaxing. Josh out of no one asked if anyone believes this house is haunted. No one gave a definite yes or no, we all just looked around at one another (probably because no one wanted to look stupid). So he continued on saying that “a couple nights ago I was texting Erin (his girlfriend) before going to bed, I noticed my phone had 8% battery left and it was late so I figured I’d just said goodnight and throw my phone on the charger and go to bed, nothing out of the normal, I do it every night. And I know for a fact my phone was charging because I got another text after saying goodnight to Erin and I saw in the corner it was at about 20% battery and still charging. I randomly woke up in the middle of the night and went to reach for my phone to check the time, I reached over for my phone and it wasn’t there, I kept feeling around and couldn’t find it, I felt around in my bed still couldn’t find my phone. At this point I was getting annoyed so I got out of bed turned on my lights and looked around, I found my charger on the floor in the middle of my room with no phone attached to it. I looked everywhere, I couldn’t find my phone, I stood there thinking about where it could be. I know for a fact I put it on the charger and it was charging before I went to bed.” Everyone chuckled because as he was telling the story you could hear annoyance in his voice. He continued “seriously guys just listen, so I’m like pissed at this point and was ripping my room apart for my phone! For some weird reason I got the thought to look between my wall and bed, I lifted up my top mattress and found my phone. It was like 4:35 in the morning, which pissed me off even more, and my phone was at about 87% battery. I was so pissed I just put my charger back in the wall and put my phone back on the charger and went to sleep.”

Ashley “Josh you’re crazy, you sure this wasn’t a dream?”

Josh “I’m positive because I woke up remembering it and still being weirded out about it. I swear the basement is haunted!”

Me “I mean I believe you, I don’t like the basement, I don’t feel like I should be down there, I only go down there if I absolutely have to, when I do my laundry I do it as quickly as I can.”

Everyone just went on with the evening, the conversation ended and that was that. But a couple weeks later Steven the other guy whose room is in the basement brought it back up. The exact same thing happened to him! He found his phone between his mattress and the floor (his mattress at the time was just on the floor) charger was on the opposite side of the room and phone was under his mattress. That’s when everyone got weirded out; no one really said anything but you could tell everyone was thinking about it.

People believe different things, some believe in ghosts and some don’t. Whether the guys are telling the truth or not I believe my house is haunted. And I will stand by it forever.  I don’t care how many weird looks I get I’m not ashamed to believe in ghosts and say I believe in ghosts.

1 Comment so far

1.   fuglsang on October 16th, 2014

No one likes basements, Caitlin. So now I’m not sure I need to
    assign the scary story assignment for Halloween.

I’m undecided about ghosts. Aliens: You bet. Sasquatch: Nope.
    Loch Ness monster: Maybe.

If there are such things as “ghosts,” I doubt they are manifestations
    of souls, or of the dead. Seems more likely to me that they are the
    result of leaks between dimensions. That may not make a lot of
    sense, but neither does an undead life force, or a soul.