Listening To Silence

It’s Friday night; I’m home alone all my roommates went home for the weekend or to the Iowa game. Laying in bed before the clock even hits ten o’clock, not a drop of alcohol in me, and ten different homework assignments due by Monday. I’m no normal college student who goes out as you can probably tell.

Listening to what’s going on around me, all I hear is my TV on in the background playing the Royals vs. Orioles baseball game, my typing and an occasional *DING* from my phone indicating I have a text message. Not really focused on the TV and what’s going on, I noticed the crowd got loud, a big play must have happened. Sometimes a loud car drives by. Sometimes it’s a car with an extremely loud muffler and sometimes it’s a car playing their music extremely loud, most of the time though it’s a cars muffle because they are driving up the hill in front or even to the side of my house. A train just sounded its horn, which for me to hear from my house isn’t uncommon.

Outside of the TV, my typing, cars outside and random trains way off in he distance it’s dead silent. Almost too silent for my liking, I hear nothing yet this nothing has a sound a ringing sound. It’s hard to explain; I don’t know whether the silence is my head or if I’m hearing air but it’s a constant ring of silence.

1 Comment so far

1.   fuglsang on October 15th, 2014

Good first paragraph. It creates a nice sense of place/time.
    Is the car playing the music, or someone inside the car?

I know all about the “constant ring of silence.”