Coming back to Sioux City for his wife

Kevin Pottebaum is no stranger to Sioux City so coming back for his wife and leaving his job in Mitchell, South Dakota was an easy decision. He was born and raised in Sioux City, went to Sioux City East High School, then went to Morningside and graduated in 2010 with a major in Mass Communication and a minor in Sports Management. After graduating from Morningside he landed a job with the Daily Republic as a sports writer in Mitchell, South Dakota. He worked there for 10 months then came back to be with his wife.

He met his wife Amanda, while working at Orange Julius in high school. They went to rival high schools. Amanda went to Bishop Heelan Catholic High School. Then they went to rival colleges. Amanda went to Briar Cliff. Pottebaum played baseball in high school and college and when he came back to Sioux City, he picked it back up and continues to play baseball for the Sioux City Saint.

When Kevin and Amanda were planning their wedding they waited a week until their wedding to pick their first dance song. Because the new Matchbox 20 album was coming out and Kevin wanted to see if their new album would have a good first dance song, which it did. They picked over joyed by Matchbox 20. When Kevin told that cute little story he added

“Rob Thomas is my man crush, no one put that in your story.”

He and his wife love spoiling their two dogs. Both are three years old. Taz is a Sheba New Chow Chow mix and Riley is a Black lab border collie mix. Kevin is like a lot of newly weds he still loves being outdoors, traveling, bowling, playing baseball and yes he still plays video games.

Now that Pottebaum is back at Morningside at an employee and not a student his favorite part of his job is just watching the campus grow and change.

“It’s nice when they are paying me instead of it being the other way around.”

Kevin is the digital Communication manager, he’s in charge of social media and the college website for Morningside. He also works with PR. Pottebaum is  more of the behind the scenes guy. “Voice of Morningside”

“Working with twitter and Facebook is a lot of fun and doing it for the school I graduated from makes it more fun.”

Right now his biggest project is he is working on completely re-doing Morningside Website. Last time the website changed was 6 or 7 years ago. The website should be up by the end of this calendar year, at the latest January.

“I want it to change every 3 to 4 years so it always has that new look”

1 Comment so far

1.   fuglsang on September 24th, 2013

You know, I like the first sentence, Caitlin. I would read that. But then you go off
    into chronology. Follow up on the lead. Tell me immediately why he came back,
    which is down there toward the bottom: “Now that Pottebaum is back….”

You’re including a lot. Would have been better off focusing on one aspect of the
    interview.