Morningside Football During the Pandemic

Morningside football is off to a hot 2-0 start, but has been faced with past and current challenges.

In August, nobody was even sure there would be any fall athletics at the NAIA level. Lots of rumors were swarming that all events would be cancelled in the fall, but nobody knew for sure.

“It was tough training not knowing if I was going to have a season, but I always try to stay optimistic”, says Sione Tuifua, a Morningside football player I got the privileges to speak with.

Sione Tuifua is a Junior here at Morningside College that plays tight end for the team, while pursuing a degree in biology pre-med. Tuifua is from Alaska, so while a lot of the team was training in Sioux City during the Summer, he was back home. “I came for the last couple of weeks of training here, and social distancing was required when possible and temperatures were taken before every lift and running,” he mentioned

Tuifua notes how he ran through scenarios in his head frequently, just thinking of everything that could happen. “So far, everything is working out well even after our last game got cancelled. I am still super optimistic and we are taking car of ourselves, trying to get through this whole season one game at a time,” he finished.

Morningside did get their last game cancelled, but they are back on track for Homecoming this weekend against Briar Cliff.

No Comment