News Comment #12

November 8, 2020

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gun-waving-st-louis-couple-sues-news-photographer-74081865?cid=clicksource_4380645_9_heads_hero_live_headlines_hed

The article I chose this week is “Gun-waving St. Louis couple sues news photographer” written by The Associated Press. In this article it talks about how protesters for racial injustice protested down a private street. Along that street was a couple and their $1.5 million house. The couple came out waving guns around and from the street, a photographer took a picture of them. They are now suing the photographer because they are stating since the street was private, the photographer and protesters were trespassing.

I chose this article because I just thought it was interesting in general. Why was it the couples solution to go out waving guns at people that were just walking down a street protesting? The couples were lawyers too, shouldn’t they know better? I also want to know if the street is publicly know that it is private. Is it a gated community? How do people know it is private? I have too many questions for this article and that is why I don’t think it did that great of a job. It was short, but just not enough information was provided for me to come to a conclusion on if the people were dumb or not. The couple could also be considered racists since they came out with guns to protect their $1.5 million house.

One Response to “News Comment #12”

1.   fuglsang said:

This is an aspect of the law called appropriation. They are in public, and the photog can take a photo. But making money off of the couple by putting it on shirts and coffee mugs is an invasion of privacy.