https://abcnews.go.com/US/charged-trafficking-ring-thousands-flying-squirrels-florida-asia/story?id=73716699&cid=clicksource_4380645_15_comic_strip_sq_hed

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/10/20/flying-squirrel-trafficking-ring-busted-in-florida.html

For the media comparison, I chose the story over an animal trafficking of flying squirrels. I got the the print story from ABC and the broadcast story from CNBC. Basically, seven people were apprehended for a ring of animal trafficking of flying squirrels from Florida to South Korea. The squirrels were trapped in Florida, sold to a buyer, where some were driven to Chicago and transported to Asia or people from South Korea came to the buyer and bought to keep them as pets.

The two types of stories did differ quite a bit. In the print version it states right away that seven people were apprehended. Who they were apprehended by and where. In the broadcast version it doesn’t even mention the amount of people apprehended until the end of the newscast. The broadcast seems to have less content than the print version, especially since the print version stated how long it was going on and when it was first reported. There was no quotes in the broadcast and one in the print, but the title for the person was very lengthy and I got confused.

The print story also mentioned how people were smuggling the wild animals to keep them as pets, I don’t believe the broadcast one. The broadcast one also made it seem like it wasn’t even that big of an issue. They introduced the story by saying something about cute little creatures and then laughing. It may not seem serious because it is a cute creature, but those people were taking animals from their natural habitat and forcing them to be domesticated. They could have made the squirrels endangered and the newscaster wasn’t even taking it seriously. I wasn’t a fan of the broadcasting one. However, I did like the images used because they gave people a visual of what kind of animal was being smuggled.

One Response to “Media Comparison/News Comment #9”

1.   fuglsang said:

The class did not seem all that thrilled, but I thought these stories made for a very good comparison.