Observations

September 10, 2020

Sitting out at the front desk in Dimmitt is very boring, but at the same time entertaining. A person walking through the formal could be heard from miles away. The echo of the empty hall and slap of the shoes against the marble floors, bring about an annoying noise. Staring off into space, at nothing because nobody wanders the halls until practices are over. When people do appear, the most random conversations happen, especially ones involving masks.

A group of students headed down the stairs when one abruptly stops, “I forgot my mask.” Her friend beside her also stops and glances to the rest of the friends down the stairs, “I’ll wait here for her.” As the first student runs back up the stairs to grab the most important item of the year. That was the first conversation in a long while and would be the only one until two resident assistances strolled by, their hands filled with pillows. As one prepares to go down the stairs, “Anything else [needed]?”

The one on the stairs pauses, “No, I’ll see you at 7:30”

“7:30. Oh wait, I might be a little late because of practice.”

With an exasperated sigh, the one on the stairs just stares at the other, “Timothy…”

“Let’s be honest, you need me for the zoom meeting.”

“I do,” Then the two part their separate ways, to meet up again, at hopefully 7:30. Sitting at the front desk can be boring, but there are moments that can be very entertaining when students do not expect you to be sitting there.

One Response to “Observations”

1.   fuglsang said:

“Very” is a pet peeve for me, especially since Trump uses it constantly. It’s a weak intensifier. Rather than very boring, how about Tedious, monotonous, or stupefying. Stretch your vocab.

Echo and slap. Nice.

Good eavesdropping, Ashley! Good use of objective detail.