A Look Inside Morningside College: Student Spotlight

Sophomore Lindsey Freitag is the youngest of five girls. She is from Albert Lea, Minn., a decently-sized small town where people will greet you with a smile and ask about your day almost automatically. She left her hometown and traveled 212 miles to Morningside College to have the space to branch out and figure out just who she is.

Freitag, an English and graphic design double major, spent her first year at Morningside College focusing strictly on her education and keeping a high grade point average. Her high grades landed her a spot in Alpha Lambda Delta, an honor society that honors the academic achievements of freshman students. Freitag, having sophomore-standing credits at the end of her first year, was also invited to join the upperclass honor society Omicron Delta Kappa. She is also a part of the English honor society, Sigma Tau Delta.

“My activities help me to be more aware of the needs of the groups and people around me,” said Freitag. “The honor societies that I’m involved in are always interested in helping people and filling a need.”

Freitag originally decided to major in English because she loves to read. As a young girl in middle school, she knew she wanted to be a copy editor at HarperCollins Publishing. Freitag even had a mapped out plan of everything she needed to accomplish to get her dream job: 4.0 GPA and a stellar internship in New York. But as much as she loved the idea of being surrounded with mountains of books to read, she grew as a person through education and no longer knew if that was the best plan for her.

“I read somewhere that whatever you do while procrastinating is what you should do with the rest of your life,” said Freitag. “I found myself spending extra time on my typography projects or practicing calligraphy to put off writing a research paper. This made me realize that my plan, as incredible as it sounds, wasn’t the best fit for me.”

Freitag is currently working on mapping out a new future, one with a focus on graphic design.

Published in: on January 19, 2016 at 3:44 PM Comments (0)

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://wordpress.morningside.edu/alumninewsletter/2016/01/19/a-look-inside-morningside-college-student-spotlight-8/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.