Michelle's Blog My life is almost as interesting as this theme.

November 5, 2012

Column on Election Day

Filed under: Uncategorized — Michelle @ 3:29 pm

It’s no secret that today is Election Day. The day where Americans head out in droves to their nearest polling place to cast their ballot for who should become the next President of the United States. To me, Election Day does not really matter. The President really cannot do anything. Our nation is run by Congress, that group of stubborn children (and this is offensive to children, actually) who refuse to compromise and make good things happen for American citizens.

Despite the corruption in Congress and the lack of power of the President, I must say that regardless of who wins, I am thankful to be an American. My boyfriend took me to see Argo today, and being the sheltered Midwestern and middle-class white girl that I am, I was shocked to see how things have been and very well still might be in the Middle East. I am thankful to live in a country where I don’t have to live in fear each day. A country where there are not public slayings. I can make something of myself despite the fact that I am a woman.

I do support President Barack Obama, but in all honesty, I don’t really care who wins. The biggest reason I support him is because my asshole boss tells me it’s wrong to support him, and I would love nothing more than to see an Obama win to wipe off that smug attitude.

So, what does Election Day mean to me? Not much. I exercised my right to vote, but the President can’t change anything because Congress is a group of morons. I don’t care who wins just because that no matter who wins, we will still have better and safer lives than most of the world, anyway.

1. You might want to delete the bit about assassination (even if it’s true). You and your boss might be getting a visit from the Secret Service. In essence this is about veneer. that layer of pretty that hides the crap underneath. Does that sound about right?

Comment by fuglsang — November 7, 2012 @ 9:45 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress