Runner’s Dream Gets Taken by Nike

In recent released New York Times article, Mary Cain writes about her personal experience with Nike. As of 2013, Cain was the fastest runner in America. At 17, she broke countless track and field records. Her future was bright, but that was until she signed a contract with Nike’s Oregon Project. The contract held Cain at a high standard, and forced her to win. She was put in a “win-at-all-cost culture.” Alberto Salazar, Cain’s head coach, pushed her to lose weight and portray an image that young girls could look up to. However, that led to lack of energy and stress that eventually led to her downfall.

The article was very well written. This was the first article I have read where the author was the main focus of the story. She focussed mainly on young runners and athletes who plan to make a profession out of their sport. However, she also tried to appeal people who don’t know Nike beyond clothes and shoes. The article flowed very well, and kept me interested even though it was longer than the previous articles I have covered.

1. crstaff

If anything, this is a personal narrative. It’s a story written by a person involved in the event. When I read this, I saw it more as an editorial than story. But either way, it does break news.

I saw today that other runners are now coming out with their own stories about the Nike team.