Germany Investigates Russia Over Pre-Election Hacking

The article from the N.Y. Times is about an investigation of the German prosecutor’s office after multiple hacking attempts from Russia. Obviously, the article also mentions the timing of this hacking attack, as it is very close to the upcoming elections in Germany.

The author of the article mentions how multiple politicians have been targeted by suspicious emails and other attempts to steal passwords, but in the beginning, it wasn’t clear who was responsible for these attacks. However, from a statement that was released from the Foreign Ministry, it was clear that the investigations were concentrated on Russia. According to the prosecutors, they found a connection to a so-called “Ghostwriter campaign” that can be attributed to the Russian intelligence service.

Moscow denied that it was involved in any of those attacks and called those allegations an “extraordinary P.R. story”. They furthermore said that it was the work of some individual politicians that wanted to create rumors on purpose.

The article also mentions the economic ties between Russia and Germany and the fact that even though they do have those ties, Russia was found to have hacked into the computer systems of the German parliament in 2015. In addition to that, they also breached the German government’s data network three years later.

I think that the article is very well written and also states a lot of important facts that are important to create a cohesive picture. The lead of the story is very informative. It is a little bit longer than usual but it makes me want to keep reading the story to find out what exactly happened. The article includes quotes from the German prosecutors, showing that they are investigating Russia, but also mentions Russia’s reply to the allegations, which is very important in writing a story.

After looking up some more information on this news story, I realized that not a lot of major news outlets have published stories about this, which, in my opinion, is weird. I think that this article is very much newsworthy and the fact that Russia is trying to do the same thing they did in the U.S. elections deserves more attention.

Source:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/10/world/europe/germany-russia-hacking-investigation.html?searchResultPosition=1

One thought on “News Comment #3

1. I have read often that Russia’s overall goal is to destabilize Europe.

I have said before, Americans are not known for their interest in international affairs.
    Trump’s ignorance was not unusual.

How old is Baerbock? She looks like she should be in college.