News Comment: Week 3

September 7th, 2017 | Uncategorized |

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-blue-line-attack-alert-20170906-story.html

This article was about a Chicago man who was waiting for a subway train, when he was shoved onto the tracks by a random person.  The one who shoved the man kept blocking the way up so the man couldn’t get off the rails.  When Benedict, the man who was shoved, was helped back up, the attacker had run away from the scene.  What this article is reporting on more than anything though, is that the Chicago Police did not do anything to warn the public about this man who is still on the lose.

I believe this story has a good lead to it just because the title of the story in general when I was searching caught my eye.  And how the story continued to explain how the city wasn’t doing anything to warn the people of this attacker made it even deeper.

In this day when journalists are constantly scrutinized, and sometimes for good reason, it is nice to see an article that shows why we have journalists and the good they can do.  Since the CPD wouldn’t warn the public, Benedict is getting his own warning out there by using the Chicago Tribune.  This is a great example of what journalists are for.

One Response to “News Comment: Week 3”

1. I like your approach to this, Steven. This is a good example of the media bringing forward something people need to be aware of.

I can kind of see the reason the police did not put out a warning, but how many times does it have to happen before they see a trend?